Monday, April 03, 2017

I appeared on a panel over the weekend.

My official bio from the program, click in to enlarge and chuckle.
Saturday morning, I appeared on a panel titled Issues in Music Journalism, as part of the 2017 MEIEA Educators Summit, alongside my friends and colleagues Jim DeRogatis and Althea Legaspi. It was moderated by Justin Sinkovich, who did a wonderful job or reigning us in and redirecting the conversation whenever we skirted too close to a rabbit hole.

And even though we were up against another panel discussing both The Beatles Catalogue and Paul McCartney's Quest to Recapture His Rights and Virtual Or Otherwise: Music in Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and Other New Technologies and its Relationship to Copyright Law*, we still manages to get an excellent, engaged crowd in the room.

And late ron that evening while watching Dude York at Cobra Lounge, I ran into one of the attendees, who was at the show because Jim and I had, in an aside, raved about the group. So not only did I feel like we passed along some knowledge about music writing, but while doing so accomplished one of those things music writers often hope for—helping people discover excellent new music.

*Two very sexy topics, despite the cumbersome titles, actually.

No comments: