Monday, January 12, 2015

A little decency goes a long way.

Click on this to enlarge, print it out, and use if needed!
One of my resolutions has been to try and maintain a sunnier attitude about things but between the one-two punch of slipping and sliding over un-shoveled walks to get to a train filled with rude passengers set me off this morning. In regards to the CTA ride, I'm beginning to realize that the majority of my issues I have with my commute has nothing to do with the agency but with passengers who just can't seem to follow basic guidelines of civility when it comes to traveling with other human beings in an enclosed space. I'm not saying the CTA doesn't have it's share of fuck-ups, but I am willing to acquiesce the fact that most of my negative experiences stem from boorish behavior from fellow travelers.

The shoveling snow thing? I have lived in Chicago 20 (?!) years and have never owned property myself yet have managed to ALWAYS shovel the walk in front of the building I am living in. ALWAYS. And despite it being the law that your walk be clear whether or not you actually own the building people still argue and claim it's the city's responsibility. "I pay taxes! And I'm expected to shovel a public walkway? That's bullshit!" these people say. And these people at that moment expose themselves as selfish jerks. "I'm busy! I have a life a responsibilities that are more important than getting rid of some snow that's just going to be replaced with new snow before long!" they claim. Which makes they even bigger self-centered assholes.

So here is my plea to every person reading this: you are better than that. Chances are if you're reading this you're already the sort of person inclined to want to do the right thing, and I'm willing to bet the chances are even larger you already are. I'm not sure how we get the rude and the self-centered to do the right thing, but I think it probably starts with setting a good example. Right? There is hope, right?

No comments: