Tuesday, May 27, 2014

So I saw the new X-Men movie and...


...I enjoyed it despite there being a few glaring holes (one of which I totally missed until the end of the movie when my friend Chris noticed they never explained Professor X's reappearance after being killed by Jean Grey in the weakest movie of the franchise). There was a deft enough tough to the movie that allowed enough humor to seep in and keep the whole thing from feeling too dire in the "past" and too hopelessly apocalyptic in the "future." Bryan Singer still has a bit of a problem with pacing, but at least his slower reflective moments helped balance out the bangy-bang huge smash 'em up segments.

This was also the first X-Men movie to make extensive use of characters introduced after I had stopped reading the comics (I gave up on the series in the early '90s, so that should give you a pretty good idea of my basis) but based on the post-credits tag at least I'll still understand the story lines for the foreseeable future.

No comments: