Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Spread out the joy.

See? You gotta relax!
While last weekend was a blast it showed me the danger of scheduling too much stuff too close to each other. In the past this was never an issue but I'm reaching the point where I need a day or two to myself (actually ourselves is more precise since it includes my time to just chill with GalPal. But we're learning! We had considered having a barbecue next weekend to take advantage of some other neighborhood events transpiring over the weekend. Then we remembered we had already committed to attending the Burlington 6th Anniversary Party, so that meant if we still wanted to have a soiree at our place it would be pushed to Sunday and probably mean we'd have little time to prepare.

How mundane is this retelling?

But that's kind of my point. Sometimes mundane is good. I'm finally starting to understand I can't experience everything all of the time, so in order to really appreciate everything I do experience I now need some occasional downtime.

The funny thing is I know this but have to periodically remind myself that it's still a truth I need to adhere to. Rationally you know a diet of ice cream* isn't going to do you any favors but that doesn't mean that, left to your own devices, you would eat nothing but ice cream—until you finally ate so much ice cream it makes you sick. 


I'm older now but when I was younger I could eat a lot more ice cream before I got sick. Sometimes I forget that age brings some limitations. So now I try to keep the notion of spreading out the joy top of mind so I don't overdo it. Based on last weekend this is still a work in progress but adjusting next weekend's plans well ahead of time shows that some of this lesson might actually be making it into my thick skull before I overdo it.

*Technically Little Debbie's Swiss Cake Rolls would be a more apropos treat if we're talking about my own tendency to overindulge, but ice cream is more universally understandable so I'm going with that.

No comments: