Friday, February 24, 2012

Ahn RawkWriting.

Well, not really on rock writing in general, though I do have a long gestating idea to put together a post on just that subject since people always ask me how I started and how I got to where I am and how they can do it. But that post is coming another day.

I've been getting a lot of compliments on the Guns N' Roses review I wrote earlier this week. people seem honestly impressed by it. And I can't tell if that's because my writing of late has been lousy and this is a return to form or if I'm still generally a solid writer but this piece just shines a little more brightly. I wish I could say it was because I went through draft after draft to get it to perfection, but that ain't the case. Maybe it's because I found a nugget of truth in a subject that is usually treated in a less than serious manner because of the fractured history of the band's frontman. Or maybe sitting through a three hour concert stone sober leads to me working through stuff in my head during the show that I remember more clearly the next day (though I swear it didn't feel that way when writing it).

Who knows? But if you haven't read it yet, people are telling me the piece is good, so take a look.

1 comment:

Shoeshine Boy said...

Great summary, Jim. I actually was pleasantly surprised at the show. Lost a bet that they would go 3 hours, over an hour after curfew.