Thursday, July 30, 2009

Returning to the scene of the crime to discover there's no crime.

Returning to the scene of the crime to discover there's no crime.

I keep going back to re-listen to the Micachu & The Shapes debut, especially since everyone is hitting the thesaurus to describe just how wonderful the album is, but I just can't get into it. I want to check them out live to see if that's the missing piece that will draw the frenetic strands of their album together for me, but I admit suspicion due to the fact that the group has been championed by a coterie of tight-nit music bloggers who tend to overvalue certain albums in hopes of retaining their "trendsetting" status. In fact they set no trends outside of an insular community, but that doesn't mean they don't contribute to inflated expectations.

Hm, I honestly don't know where that came from! When I started writing my primary intent was just to say that I didn't dig a particular album but am willing to return to it occasionally to see if my opinion changes. I suppose the digression was rooted in the realization that if it weren't for the name recognition or buzz around certain groups they would probably end on the discard pile without benefit of further review farther down the road. So I suppose that means I'm part of that "insular community" to a certain extent since i allow myself to be influenced insofar as to give stuff that isn't worth my time a little but more off that time.

Then again, very occasionally, that extra time pays off and something finally connects, so I guess it is worth it after all?

No comments: