Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dance party U.S.A.

Dance party U.S.A.

I came across a blog post that mentioned Meat Beat Manifesto the other day and it reminded me how much we all used to love dancing to them in college. Nowadays it sounds kinda clunky, but back in those days it passed for downright funky.

We would happily go from James Brown to Ministry to Dexy's Midnight Runners to The Partridge Family to Ned's Atomic Dustbin to The Blue Meanies to Public Enemy to The Revolting Cocks. And it all worked.

Those early dance parties really formulated my view on anything goes DJing and to this day I'm confused when people can't seem to dance to a rock and/or roll song because, to me, you can dance to anything if it's good and speaks to you.

Anyway, I thought I'd share an old school nugget that would slip into the playlist (usually held on a mixtape prepped pre-house party) at those parties.

MP3: Meat Beat Manifesto "Mars Needs Women"

Here's a fun side-game ... click on the photo to enlarge and see if you can spot a very young Tankboy at that particular party!)

No comments: