Saturday, September 13, 2008

Smushed in the middle of the crowd, waiting for the band to start so I can photograph them.

Smushed in the middle of the crowd, waiting for the band to start so I can photograph them.


Girl 1: Way to stand in front of the five-foot-two girl, dude.
Me: I asked if I could and you said yes!
Girl 2: He did and you did.
Girl 1: I know, just messing with him. Anyway, why do you get to photograph them?
Me: I got cleared through their publicist.
Girl 1: No, no, I mean why are you allowed to take pictures. How long have you been doing this.
Me: Oh, I dunno. I've been writing about music for about 20 years.
Girl 2: What?
Girl 1: Wait, how old are you?
Me: 36.
Girl 2: No fucking way.
Girl 1: I thought you were like 21. I'll stop giving you shit now.

Last night's show was excellent. It was easily the best I've ever seen The Dandy Warhols play. In the past their shows could be incredibly self-indulgent, and much of the band's attitude came off as "we're deigning to play for you, so you'll fucking love whatever we do." That vibe was completely absent last night, and the whole band seemed honestly appreciative to be performing in front of a sold-out crowd. Maybe now that they're on their own, and completely free of Major Label-land, they no longer feel like serfs being sent out to perform their master's bidding and instead are honestly happy to be in front of their fans. A full photoset will be up on Chicagoist on Monday, and the S-T even ran a decent review of the show, despite the misleading headline.

No comments: