Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hitting our stride.

Hitting our stride.

It's hard to believe the band has only been playing together for about eight months. And it's even more unbelievable that we've come this far when a) Tome had never played keyboards in a band before and b) it had been well over a decade since I played drums with a group, and even then it was a loosely held together affair in a band that didn't take itself seriously at all. Well, musically at least. America's #1 Sweetheart takes the songwriting seriously, we just make sure we have lots of fun with the presentation.

Anyway, when we started it took us weeks to cobble together two songs (and God bless the guys for being so patient with me while I settled back into the rhythm of drumming with a band!), and now we're able to more or less get the structure of a song down in a single practice. It of course gets refined after that, but we've gotten to the point where we're getting pretty darn good at just hammering Keep's ideas out. And the other day he even started trotting out a bunch of Sweetheart classics from before my joining the band, but since I sort of remembered the drum parts I was able to play along semi-faithfully. Brian, the drummer preceding me, is WAY better than I am, but I think I was able to at least approximate the feel of the songs. It was lots of fun, so maybe we'll work on some of the old repertoire as well.

Anyway, the new song we're working on has already been demoed, and is sounding pretty kick-ass, so hopefully it'll be battle ready by our February 2 show at The Mutiny. That show is going to kick so much ass. The Mutiny may be a dive bar, but it's an awesome dive bar, and the vibe there can be so much fun, and the bands we're playing with a all good friends, and we're just going to have a blast. Well, I don't really know the openers, but since Gina picked them, I'm going to guess they're good people too. They just better remember to keep their mini-pitchers of beer above Keep's waist level. I'm just sayin'...

No comments: