Monday, December 17, 2007

Solicitation for health advice.

Solicitation for health advice.

So, as noted, I've pretty much been down for the count since Saturday. I'm dosed up on the Mucinex and a herbal remedy recommended by my friend JB, but I'm looking for any other advice on how to beat this cough / congestion / minor chills I just can't shake.

And I've honestly been trying to take care of myself, for once!

Other modes of treatment thus far have involved:
  • Not going out and boozing it up.
  • Exercising each day to bolster the immune system.
  • Bundling up, and actually wearing gloves, when I go outside
  • Occasional doses of TheraFlu.
Not a treatment option:
  • Calling in sick to work.
I don't have a bad sore throat yet, and what I do have is doubtless caused by all my coughing. However I don't want to get the same throat ailment that followed me around for weeks last winter.

So, does anyone have any advice on remedies / supplements / treatments they've found useful in the past? Give it to me! I've got to shake this thing before Thursday!

UPDATE: Gina noted that, while it might cause pangs of guilt, I should not be visiting the gym, since my body needs more recuperative time when sick. Apparently that whole "working out boosts the immune system" only applies when you're not sick. Oddly, Photogal and I had an argument about this very point last time I was sick, and I must now publicly concede that she was correct in saying that I should have been skipping the gym and loading up on rest instead.

UPDATE II: In a desperate attempt to stop coughing, and worrying my co-workers they are about to catch the plague, I ran down to get some emergency medicines. One of these was a teensy little tin of Sucrets Complete. WHOA! The oral anesthetic they use in this particular lozenge is STRONG. I'm actually having trouble swallowing a la a trip to the dentists when some of that gel they use to numb your gums pre-Novocaine shot drips down the back of your throat.

So yeah, the stuff works as far as killing sensation, and that's kind of freaking me out, but I'm still coughing. It's just not hurting my throat. Time to break out the Daytime Theraflu.

No comments: