Monday, October 22, 2007

Is Radiohead above the backlash?

Is Radiohead above the backlash?

I read last week that Radiohead's management admitted that the online release was a well thought out ploy in order to boost the band's CD sales. And I've been shocked to see that no one seems to care even though this sort of goes against the whole "Radiohead is changing the industry!" rallying cry. I still feel it makes sense to digitally release an album right away since leaks will inevitably occur, and that Radiohead was right to do so with a "pay what you fell" pricing scheme. The album was gonna get out there, so if the band made any money off it before it leaked that was pure gold.

So I still think the band is doing the right thing, and is changing the way the industry does business. I'm just a little disappointed that their reasoning is based more in the way things have always been done instead of being as truly forward-looking as we were all giving them credit for being.

No comments: