Thursday, September 20, 2007

About those Mystery Jets.

About those Mystery Jets.

The other night Mystery Jets were terrific. Really, really great. Well worth the wait. The room started off pretty empty, with maybe 25 folks, but about three songs into the set the room started to fill in, and by the end there was a pretty decent crowd there for a Tuesday night. The band played a bunch of new songs, and I really like the direction they're going in, as well as a slew of old favorites. I also dug the fact that they've stripped down to a four-piece, although I did notice their old bass player -- the singer's dad -- was in attendance. (Maybe that wasn't him. They called out an older gentleman in the crowd who looked like Henry, but I didn't hear his name, so it seems I was mistaken. CLARIFICATION: It was actually James Ford of Simian Mobile Disco stopping by before his own set at Empty Bottle.) Very cute.

But I thought it was insanely cute that there was a trio of girls smushed up against the font of the stage -- even when the room was just about empty -- acting the role of superfans the whole way through. When they started shouting, "Zoo time! Zoo time! Zoo time! Zoo time! Zoo time!" as the band revved up the song by that title, a little shiver of happiness ran down my back.

If they're coming through your town, I can't t recommend them enough. This could be your chance to say, "I saw them back when."

No comments: