Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Practice makes perfect.

Practice makes perfect.

O.K., the drumming is coming along but I was a little upset with myself last night. We decided to do rough demos of a bunch of our new songs. So we run through them once, just to warm up, and I feel like I'm chugging along. Then the red record light comes on, and I start out song. Then I hit the bass drum one too many times and I suddenly think, "Crap! I screwed up the demo!" And now, suddenly, instead of just drumming my parts I'm thinking about drumming my parts. And each little mistake frustrates me more and more. And I'm sure all the recordings are ruined, all because of me.

Then Keep has us listen, just to hear what it sounds like, and I realize that all the little mistakes I heard weren't as huge as I thought they were. I mean, yeah, there's and "oops, missed a beat there" and a "nice attempt at a fill, lead-hands," but for the most part the demos are good for what we're using them for; now that we have the general feel of the new songs down pretty good it's time to tighten them up with some solid arrangements. Practice closes with Kip saying, "So I think it's looks like we'll still be ready to play out in October." And I realize that while I still have a lot of work to do myself, the band as a whole is steadily making progress.

Practice will make perfect.

AN ASIDE: While I was loading out I could've sworn I saw the band Meqqa, that still has my original snare drum and ride cymbal, loading in. I wasn't positive though if it was them then I'd just like to say, "Hey guys, I want my gear back!"

No comments: