Wednesday, March 07, 2007

This is not a critical review of the new Wilco record.

This is not a critical review of the new Wilco record.

Heard the new Wilco? Of course you have. The band had an online listening party Saturday, and even if you didn't hear it then you've probably heard the webrip making the rounds. Considering how much I disliked A Ghost Is Born, and how excited I was when Nels Cline joined the band, it's fair to say that I've got a lot of expectations for Sky Blue Sky.

Now I've only listened to the disc once all the way through, so this is not a critical opinion; this is more a gut reaction.

It's not bad. Not bad at all. But it feels like a step backwards. The first time I heard Being There, Summerteeth, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot I knew immediately that those were great albums. I think Being There probably made the greatest impression, since it was completely out of left field and, honestly, it wasn't something i was aware Tweedy and company were even capable of producing.

Anyway, the new disc is very '70s AOR, and I think that's a step in the right direction. It's the sound of a band becoming a band, instead of a mouthpiece for one (or two conflicting) voice(s). It's not a challenging listen, it's not a life-changing listen, but it is a good listen.

_________

New DJ night: Back to the Office!



No comments: