Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A quick thought about Joss Stone.

A quick thought about Joss Stone.

I really do enjoy Joss Stone's new disc, as I've said before, but I'm surprised no one seems to be cluing into what I think is a pretty obvious observation. especially given all the press surrounding the disc lately.

It's not really so much an album that shows off her artistic maturity as it is a showcase for Raphael Saadiq's prodigious songwriting and producing talents. It almost comes across as Lucy Pearl V2.0.

Don't get me wrong, I think Stone has an astounding voice with a whole lot of character, and I think she brings a classic '60s-toned R&B sensibility into the new millennium without it sounding hackneyed. But she needed someone to construct the vehicle for her voice to ride, and I think Saadiq deserves the lion's share of that credit.

MP3: Joss Stone "Tell Me 'Bout It"

No comments: