Thursday, July 13, 2006

Flashback.

So I'm home sick yesterday, drinking OJ on the couch while watching the final few eps of Freaks And Geeks (again, so sorry I missed it the first time around) when I almost choke on my juice. There it is. Deities & Demigods! Suddenly I am pre-pubescent again, wishing I was bigger than I was and constantly buggin my parents to buy me the latest D&D supplement so I wouldn't be constrained to only read about all the new gods in afternoon segments at my friend Mike's house.

So I have to wonder, do I like this show because it reminds me of what it was like to be an unadulterated geek kid (and in south Texas, where my geek tendencies took root and footbal reigned supreme, this was not exactly the safest route to follow in the late '70s/early '80s) or do I like it because it captures perfectly the mix of geek and freak I turned into later in high school (and believe me when I say that the Lindsey charachter is frighteningly like me in many ways, including the omnipresent army jacket)?

Or do I like it because it's that rare art form that so faithfully mirrors a certain plane of experience that it becomes unversally applicable to everyone's past experinces in one way or another?

No comments: