Tuesday, June 20, 2006

First things first.

Well, we kick off the guest DJ thang at Pontiac tonight and out first non-Photogal entry come is the form of DJ Safecraka (a.k.a. Mister David O'Brien of TrapperKeeper fame.)

This should prove interesting since I know Mr. 'Craka's musical interests range far and wide plumbing the depths of the darkest metal and rising to the spires of the sunniest pop. Me? I've got loads of new and unreleased stuff to spin as well. I think I may even play a couple of newly discovered mash-ups on the early end since folks were digging those so much last week. It's funny, I always avoid playing that sort of thing since i just assume it's totally played out in everybody else's head...and then I discover that 99.7% of the populace aren't music geeks and have no idea what a "mash-up" is. Funny, huh?

So, yeah, look for lots of fun stuff tonight. Also, reserve this Thursday on your calendar since Photogal (a.k.a. DJ Cowbell) and I will be spinning at Liar's Club again. Wheeee!

And then, Friday I leave for San Diego. I'll have Friday afternoon/evening open in San Diego so please send me suggestions on things to do since i'll be killing some time before my conference begins Saturday!

__________

Finally, a video I can get behind featuring a blonde in some daisy dukes dancing and causing trouble in a bar.



__________

Currently rockin' my world, yo.

Cheap Trick - Rockford: Matt Sabin told me this disc was awesome but I figured since he does their sound, and his brother helped produce some of the disc, he was probably biased. Well, maybe he is biased...but I feel comfortable in saying this is as good as anything off Dream Police. The band is totally rocking and/or rolling and even the presence of a songwriting credit from Linda Perry ain't slowing them down!

Xlover - Pleasure And Romance: This too, shall pass. For now, though, I'm digging this Tectonically glossed fuck-me music. If I was trying to seduce a pseudo-intellectual darkwave chickadee i 'd pop this in for Barry White-like results.

totom - With Boots: Speaking of gothy stuff, this mash-up of the last Nine Inch Nails disc is really rather good. Okay, to be honest i would have to admit that it isn't really rocking my world per se. It's more a well-executed curiosity. I mean, crossing Reznor with Depeche Mode is a bit predictable but who knew a duet between Reznor and Nancy Sinatra would come off so deliciously? Download the whole thing here and let me know what you think.

Lily Allen - Alright, Still: See, even after a critical diss I'm man enough to admit that this is still getting lots of airplay in the Tankboy Compound.

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations: Perfect. Especially "Starlight."

No comments: