Wednesday, May 31, 2006

"Kneel."
"Dennis!"


Spamalot was delightful. Even Photogal, who is no fan of Monty Python, thoroughly enjoyed herself. I thought they did a nice job of keeping the Python spirit going while still being able to create something the masses can enjoy. I was a teensy bit annoyed when fokks would applaud at the mere sight of a character before a bit had even started (i.e. the taunting Frenchmen) but I suppose that is to be expected. The only downside is that now I am really kicking myself for not having seen the show earlier with the original cast when it was in Chicago for its test run a few years ago!

P.S. Even the playbill was funny. Dik Od Triaanenen Fol indeed!

__________

Hip to be square?

In a hurry, as long weekends into a four-day work week have a tendency of totally screwing up one's schedule, so I would like to direct you to this particularly interesting article on sober scenesters. I got the tip-off about this via Tommie Sunshine's involvement in the piece and it certainly is an interesting read.

As long-time readers of mine know, I have swung from one end of the debauched spectrum clear into clean-and-sober land and then back again. Personally, at this point in my life, I like to live in a land somewhere in-between mostly being a responsible joe who occasionally turns into a rock and/or roller fueled by whiskey and beer. That's me though. And that's right now. Maybe tomorrow I'll never want to touch another drop, never smoke another cigarette and grow my own vegetables. Who can ever know for sure?

Folks that can maintain a clean lifestyle interest me since I honestly do have a hard time having bunches of fun at shows and parties when I'm stone-cold sober. I can still enjoy stuff like that, but there seems to be a certain "oomph" that's missing for me. I don't know if it's some sort of deficiency I have (probably) or what, but I can at least acknowledge that is how I feel.

Anyway, this isn't about me. Read the article and see that sometimes the really cool kids really do the most unexpected things.

No comments: