Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The end-all be-all kick-all-ass-all.

Yeah, so if you are the super-observant type who checks the right side of this page obsessively (and why wouldn't you?) to peep out all the cool things I’ve got my fingers in then you can disregard this announcement. The rest of you pay attention.

Chicagoist has finally officially announced the details
of their two year anniversary party taking place Thursday June 8.

In short, it's a free show at The Pontiac with a live set by Suffrajett and DJ sets from (the most awesome) DJ Coco Le Roc (a.k.a. Jessica Hopper) and yours truly. I just hope I don't end up looking like a total schmoe since the other folks on the bill are so frickin' awesome. And since I’m book-ending the night I stand an even greater chance of just looking like an idiot but, hey, someone’s gotta do it, right?

Plus, from my viewpoint, this line-up keeps everyone happy from the rockers to the hipsters to the indie elite to the yuppies to the (insert idiotic stereotype cliché here) to the yadda yadda yadda.

Basically this night is going to fucking rule. Miss it at your peril.


__________

Speaking of The Pontiac...

Yeah, you know it. Me and Rudy are there tonight spinning all the "hits" and with the weather being the way it is we recommend you get there early to grab a seat before the yuppies flock inside when the patio closes. You've been warned. Also, since we've finally broken the stage's cherry vis-à-vis some crazy boy on girl on girl on boy dancing action we officially state that anything can go from here on out.

But you knew that already.

__________

Erm, uh, yeah.

It was there, on the tip of my tongue. Better yet, dancing just under the knuckles. It was trying to make its way onto the keyboard. It didn't make it though. I wish it had since I'm just as curious as you are when it comes to what my brain is going to spit out at this hour in the A.M. Every once in a while I look back and say, "Who wrote that?" And then I realize it was me. Sometimes when I read stuff I wrote a few years (or decades) ago I'm amazed at how much better honest interesting more fresh a writer I was. I try to crawl back into that younger head in hopes of seeing things with the same freshness/clarity until I realize (again) that things aren't really any different.

There're a few more layers but the guy underneath is basically the same.

I think this was going to segue into a thought about continuing education being better for the brain but then I started to worry about hermetic seals and double-thought my point. I'm not backing off that rough sketch of a thought but neither am I standing behind it completely until I'mable to refill the ol' inkwell and attack the problem with a fresh plume and a little more time.

__________

Well, what the hell was that?

Y'know, I don't know either. So here, listen to this cool little ditty. Consider it a gift to make up for the above rambling. (But just the rambling part directly preceding this segment. The Chicagoist gig announcement and tonight's Pontiac sets need no apology. In fact,you should be thanking me for those tidbits!)

Anyway:

The Raconteurs
Steady As She Goes (Radio Slave Tommie Sunshine Remix)

Jeez do I love Tommie Sunshine. Hmmm...maybe I can get him to DJ at next year's Chicagoist soirée...

No comments: