Thursday, May 25, 2006

DANCE PARTY!

Seriously, this picture says it all.


Photogal and I are DJing at Liar’s Club tonight and we would love it if you would join us. We start EARLY, at 8pm, because Time Out Chicago is hosting an event where they’ll be taste-testing Holy Grail Ale and giving away tickets to Monty Python's Spamalot. Awesome, huh? Full deets are:

TONIGHT
Thursday May 25
at
Liar’s Club

DJ Tankboy
DJ Cowbell

Beer, bourbon and mayhem.
We promise.

8pm until 2am

Get yer drink on and kick off the loooong weekend a day early.

__________

Five albums I just CAN NOT stop playing!

The Oohlas - Best Stop Pop:
Whoa, the '90s are back almost before we realized they were gone. Actually, this is the kind of music you would expect from bands that grew up on The Darling Buds and Magnapop and stuff like that. My only question is what am I going to have to do to get them to play here in Chicago?!

The Futureheads - News & Tributes:
I lurved the debut and while this one isn't quite knocking my block off the way they hit me the first time, it is doing a fair to excellent job of turning me on. The songs are (barely) longer, but they are by no means bloated. These lads are still the one-stop shop for when I want to get my XTC kink pogo party on.

Spank Rock - YoYoYoYoYo:
What is this? Rock? Rap? Borderline occasional glitch? NYC scenesters caught in an Indian wrestling match with some foul-mouthed sex-crazed MCs? Who the fuck cares? It's awesome fun!

The Riverboat Gamblers - To The Confusion Of Our Enemies:
I expect a backlash of "the new disc is too polished, I liked 'em better when they were punk as fuck" but to the negative nellies may I extend a big fat middle finger? The tunes are still a bundle of hyper-spazzed nerves, the only real difference is the singer is trying to sing instead of merely punctuating verses with yelps and howls.¹ The debut kicked ass, but this one takes names.

The Ark - State Of The Ark:
Why? They satisfy my penchant for all things Bowie with their affected glam circa Shudder To Think's digging of the Velvet Goldmine.

¹Yes, that worked for David Yow, but believe me when I say Yow was one in a trillion.

No comments: