Thursday, April 06, 2006

Fare thee well.

Today is it. My last day at Salton.

Why do I feel like I’m breaking up with a girlfriend?

Seriously, this is weird. I’m really going to miss the people I work with. I’m really going to miss my boss. I’m really going to miss the free kitchen small electrics I got when we no longer needed samples we had for display or demonstration. I'm really going to miss my chair that I broke in to be super comfy and lean waaaay back..

However I’m not going to miss the commute.

It’s really hard to go in today. though. since I still have so much to do and I know it’s not going to get done and I know that someone else is going to be doing my job tomorrow and, while I hope they’ll miss me, it just underscores how interchangeable people are in larger corporations.

It’s also really hard to go in because I am so psyched about my new job that it’s hard to maintain motivation for doing my old one. However I do believe in doing 100% up until the last hour so that’s what I’m going to do.

Did I mention how excited I am to be doing my new job? Very, very excited. The company is smaller, and the people seem happy to be there and I always view that as an excellent sign. I think the work I’m doing will keep me busy and engaged while while challenging me and teaching me lots of new stuff. On top of that (which, really, would be enough) the location of my new company is terrific. When I want to go to lunch I’ll be able to just walk to a dozen or so restaurants instead of having to get in a car and drive four miles just to buy a sub sandwich. Heck, if I really want to I can ride my bike to work at the new place! How awesome is that?

So yes, I will miss the familiarity and camaraderie of Salton but I have a feeling I’m going to be even happier at my new job. I feel like I’m moving forward, onward and upward. It’s a good feeling to have.

So long, George! And....thank you so very much for the past three years.

No comments: