Thursday, December 01, 2005

Cool or fool?

So every morning I find myself eating a yogurt with the brand name Light 'n Fit and the flavor distinction of Lemon Chiffon. Does eating this make me less than a man or does eating this signify I am secure in my masculinity and prove the fact that I am indeed manly?

Or does my embrace of this observation as proof of my manliness mean I am, in fact, not manly at all? You know, kind of the like principle of the directly inverse proportional coolness equivalent wherein one's coolness decreases with every self-assured statement that one is, in fact, cool.

Here, allow the cultural shorthand offered by a scene from The Simpsons to illustrate this maxim.

Homer: So, I realized that being with my family is more important than being cool.
Bart: Dad, what you just said was powerfully uncool.
Homer: You know what the song says: "It's hip to be square".
Lisa: That song is so lame.
Homer: So lame that it's... cool?
Bart+Lisa: No.
Marge: Am I cool, kids?
Bart+Lisa: No.
Marge: Good. I'm glad. And that's what makes me cool, not caring, right?
Bart+Lisa: No.
Marge: Well, how the hell do you be cool? I feel like we've tried everything here.
Homer: Wait, Marge. Maybe if you're truly cool, you don't need to be told you're cool.
Bart: Well, sure you do.
Lisa: How else would you know?

For the record, I still like Huey Lewis. Does that impugn my manliness in any way?

Well, I don't care.

__________

Well, you be the judge.

I keep threatening to share music with my lovely, slavering, gnome-like readers so I suppose now is as good a time as any to try it out. I have lodged a little .ZIP file filled with lovely mp3 files¹ at the location below, so make with the clicky and download it and burn it and listen and let me know what you think.

The "Cool Or Fool" Mix

Consider this a test...and let me know what you think of the songs², whether you dig 'em or not!

If this works well maybe I can start a weekly or bi-weekly mix...or something...we'll see. I still have yet to record my first podcast for DoneWaiting and I've been promising Rob Duffy I'd do so for quite a while now.

If the link doesn’t work or if it expires let me know so I can update it.

Now it's time to make some coffe so I can warm my hands above my stove.

¹If your band is in this mix and you want your song to be removed please just send me an e-mail and I will do so with the utmost haste. If you’re in a band and now I have unreleased stuff by you that you don’t mind me using in the future, by all means communicate those wishes to me as well!
²Oh yeah...and no, there is no Huey Lewis in this mix although I realize in retrospect that there really should be. Maybe next time.

No comments: