Friday, September 30, 2005

Aliens and science fiction as visual literature.

I'm very excited about the Criterion release of The Man Who Fell To Earth. I mean I'm obviously stoked because it's David Bowie's acting debut and I turn into a blathering fan-boy in the presence of anything related to David Bowie. I've had the supposed "Director's Cut" for a while but I have no idea if it's what Nicolas Roeg actually intended so this will settle any doubts I had on what the film's final intended shape was from the beginning. Also, there's commentary by Roeg and Bowie and it comes with the original novel the movie is based on so how freaking cool is that?!

I'll be honest and say I actually don't understand the full plot entirely but I love the mood of the film. When I first watched it there were a couple rather huge holes in the plot and I was never sure if that was due to overzealous editing or if the screenwriter just assumed the viewer read the book or (most likely) it was part of Roeg's plan to draw the viewer in by forcing the audience to connect a few of the dots themselves. Unfortunately that doesn't always work, especially if your subject is science fiction based and, thusly, devoid of a logical communally accepted groundwork.

Simply, you can't paint a picture if you're not sure of the colors.

Regardless it still stands as my favorite Bowie film and one of the first movies I saw that was "genre based" that tried to expand and rise above simple classification so I'm really looking forward to revisiting the final product with a more finely tuned critical eye.
__________

Sex 'n (no) drugs 'n rock and/or roll.

Rudy and I are making a rare weekend appearance at innjoy tonight and I, for one, am really looking forward to it. I love Tuesdays and I love the Sweet Alice Tuesday crowd but when we spin on a Friday it gives so many other people a chance to come on out. plus the bar is busier by default -- since it's a weekend (duh) -- so we get the added pleasure of a) playing our tunes for a bunch of strangers who either start dancing or stare at us glassy eyes and mystified and b) we get to watch our friends interact (often with outrageously amusing results) with these newcomin' folks. I'm feeling particularly feisty today so expect a pretty raucous playlist from yours truly and I have complete faith my DJ partner will be there to administer a string of musical knock-out punches himself.

In other news, please DO NOT FORGET that Josiah is in town and that Light FM is playing an early show at Darkroom tonight by themselves and a regularly timed show tomorrow at The Bottom Lounge with The Assembly. My preview of these shows should be going live later today on Chicagoist so I'll let you know when that link pops up. here's a piece on Light FM and one on Brad Peterson.

In-between all of this I have to fit in some cat-sitting for Julie and some visiting with the C.I.A. agent Photogal's sister who is in from Nairobi for the next few weeks.

It's gonna be a helluva weekend, can't you tell?

No comments: