Thursday, May 05, 2005

I’m beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

I have a bad stomach. It wasn’t always bad but it’s pained me since my late teens. I think it’s hereditary because my dad had the same condition. Until about a year ago I just assumed I was going to spend my life buying those big jars of Tums and popping those little chalky momentary spots of relief every hour or so.

Then my doctor put me on Prevacid and my stomach ails disappeared…literally overnight!

So I’ve been on Prevacid for over a year now and stomach-wise things couldn’t be better. I’ve noticed a few suspect circumstances that have popped up though. My primary concern has been the fact that I think Prevacid interferes with my digestion more than it should since I actually gained a little weight after starting on the drug. Said weight has not disappeared even though I’m at the gym five days a week and do hours and hours of cardio. So I began to grow suspicious.

I did some poking around on-line and found other people were experiencing the same problem so I decided it was high time to make an appointment to see my doctor and bring up my concerns with her. So two weeks ago I dutifully called up her office and made and appointment for her first available slot…which ended up being June 3. Jeez.

Anyway, a few days ago I ran out of Prevacid. Now keep in mind that I’m all but sure that it’s the culprit behind my body’s stubborn refusal to operate as it should so I’m interested in trying a different drug however until a new course of action presents itself the Prevacid is the only thing keeping my stomach from eating itself. So last night I stop by my pharmacy after having placed an order for a refill a few days ago only to be told my doctor had refused to refill the prescription since I was technically out of refills. Okay, I typed “refill” one too many times there. But I’ll go on anyway.

So my first thought was, “What am I going to do without Prevacid?” Then I moved on to, “Wait, I have an appointment in a few weeks and she turns down my prescription and then neglects to call me to explain why?” And then came the inevitable, “I guess I’d better stop off for Tums on the way home.”

I’m supremely annoyed at my doctor for the lack of communication and I’m supremely scared of dealing with that constant pain over the next month until I can finally wedge myself into her daily schedule but I did wake up this morning with a bit of optimism since I reckon that going off the drug cold turkey will either prove or disprove my theory about what I suspect to be Prevacid’s more insidious and less publicized side-effect.

And with that I bid you adieu as I depart for the gym. By the way, a review of last night’s Garbage show should be up at over at Lost In Guyville before I leave for a camping trip tomorrow so keep an eye out for that. I will say that I was surprised and pleased to see Butch Vig behind the drum-kit and the band put on a much more engaging show than I had expected. And Shirley Manson is still hot hot hot.

No comments: