Monday, March 28, 2005

Graham Coxon…

…was lovely, by the way. Also a big thanks to Double Door for finding us a photo pass super quickly. Photogal was on the list through Graham’s tour publicist to get one but production had forgotten to leave it at the door. The great staff tracked it down for me super-quick though and in the end she got some really good snaps of him. A longer write-up and photos will be up over at Lost In Guyville in the next day or so.

Also my apologies to Shrimpy G. I tried to get her and her lovely boyfriend into what I thought was a better eyeline of the stage since I was afraid she couldn't see around the towering presence that Photogal and I project. However I fear the new positioning may have actually been worse...but I had the best intentions. Really!
__________

I’m even more of an idiot than usual.

So a friend sent me a digital copy of the new Maxïmo Park and I immediately fell in love. I rant and I rave about this new discovery and start working on a review for donewaiting.com. Then I was tidying up my office this weekend when I came across a promo copy of the same album that their publicist had sent me a month ago. I remember listening to it, deciding it was nifty and worthy of closer inspection…and then I forgot all about the damned thing. This is almost as lame as realizing that I sold that old Caesar’s album that has the kick-ass tune in the current iTunes Shuffle commercial a few months ago because it had sort of worn out its aural welcome. Sometime too much good music can numb the senses.
__________

A hypothetical question.

Let’s say you’re hosting a dinner party for people who have know you, let’s say, a minimum of nine years. And one of those people brings you a bottle of wine. You’re reply upon receiving this gift is, “Oh, this is much too nice to waste on this crew! Thank you.”

Now, would you take that comment as seriously meaning, “There is no way I’m going to serve this.” Would you then further avoid asking me to open the bottle for you because you think I would say no?

Now I know I can be snarky and that my darker shade of humor is occasionally lost on some folks but I also think that the above comment offered in response to the gift of wine is the sort of thing adults jokingly say to each other at dinner parties. You know, dry wit and that sort of thing. Keep in mind the person who gave the gift of wine immediately got the joke and the people that actually thought I would seriously withhold the gift were just standing nearby so I’m going to posit the theory that the offended parties must have only heard a fragment of my comment.

Of course that would also imply that some people think I’m actually capable of such callous cruelty when such an action could be further from my actual arsenal of nastiness. That someone thinks I would actually do such a thing really bothers me. The fact that this came up long after all the guests left caused me to sink into a funk – which was terribly unfortunate since I thought the dinner had been a total success and everyone seemed to have a wonderful time enjoying each other’s company – so I really wish people would communicate these sorts of worries to me. This is especially true when I hold them close to my heart and almost regard them as family.

And let’s not even get started on another party I offended when they thought I was serving some guests bottled water and other guests only got tap¹ water…

¹For the record, everyone got filtered or bottled water. At one point the demand was so great I was pouring and mixing both since the filter in a Brita pitcher only works so quickly. Apparently this offended party was not aware that it is possible to pour filtered water from a Brita pitcher while it’s still being filtered if you hold the top on tightly to avoid any unfiltered water from leaking out.

No comments: