Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Wait a minute, this is the Planet of Sound!

So let’s flashback quite a few years to Tankboy’s high school days when boys wearing earrings were called various negative epithets and bands that were only played on MTV at midnight on a Sunday night were known as “college rock.” It was this magical time, also known as the late ‘80s, that I fell in love with The Pixies. I didn’t mean to.

Actually, the first time I saw them live they were opening for the much more popular (at the time) Love and Rockets. I had heard they were quite the band so I made sure to get to the show early to catch their set, only to fall asleep about half-way through. The only thing that woke me up was on of David Lovering’s cymbals crashing to the floor and almost braining Kim Deal. I remember thinking the drum riser was ridiculously high and the stands had to be twelve to fifteen feet tall. Obviously this couldn’t have been the case, but at the time they sounded that massive to me so I reasoned they must be giants among the rest of men.

So why did hell I fall asleep if they were so awesome?

Well, massive waves of sound aside, the band was pretty boring and didn’t seem too pleased to be there. Who knows, maybe they got into some huge fight just before the show or something. Deep down, something in their music touched me though since I went right out the very next day and bought every shred of music they had put out up until that point.

So tonight I finally get to right past wrongs and I’ll finally get to see the band again. This time I promise I won’t fall asleep. I admit that I was more excited to be seeing them when I bought the tickets months ago since the build-up has kind of died down since it seems like the band has played everywhere in the world EXCEPT Chicago by this point. Nonetheless, after seeing the set-lists they’ve been playing I think it’s safe to say I’ll leave the show satisfied.

Hell, I’m so confident it’ll be awesome that I pre-bought the live CD of tonight’s show that they will be selling! Maybe I’ll spin a track or two at Ten56 when I get there after the show to take over DJing from the (newly anointed) Rudy Tuesday.

No comments: