Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Eleven twenty five in the PM Hong Kong Time, Tuesday night.

Well I had my first full day of business meetings here in Hong Kong and I am exhausted. I feel like I got a lot accomplished but that still doesn't mean that the day wasn't reaaaally long and near the end it grew nigh unbearable. Nothing like being stuck in mad traffic when all you want to do is collapse in your hotel room.

I've also learned very quickly that one of the reasons companies treat you like a king during a business is because you're working twice as hard as you're used to and even though you may be in a new and exciting place that doesn't mean you'll actually get a chance to see much of it! So far I've been trapped primarily in the tourist district around my hotel and don't feel as if I've gotten a real taste of Hong Kong. I've been driving further out from the city and some of the buildings are downright alien and I'm still getting used to all the mountains surrounding the city. I go to mainland China on Thursday so hopefully I'll get to see a bit more over there.

I have been eating well and had a great meal in this rather dodgy Afghan restaurant my boss likes. This may surprise most given my famously picky eating habits but I feel it only proves that I can indeed find anything to eat on any menu and leave satisfied.

What I haven't been doing -- which may be even more surprising -- is drinking lots and lots of booze. Maybe some business trips are clouded in a Bacchanalian haze but for the most part the routine seems to be early to bed and even earlier to rise for everyone involved. I did make it to the Night Market tonight though so I could pick up all kinds of cool little knick-knacks for Photogal and mi familia. Originally I wanted to get everyone something really nice but I hadn't realized Hong Kong was so goldanged expensive! So I opted to go the local open market route and tried to pick out things you probably wouldn't exactly be tripping over in the states.

I did also finally make it to the HMV but surprisingly found nothing for myself. They had some discs that aren't out in the U.S. yet but soon will be and I wasn't willing to pay more for a CD I can -- or will be able to shortly -- get in the U.S.

Now I'm just feeling a tad worn out, missing my beagle and Photogal, and actually looking forward to heading home on Friday. Like I said, I can't wait to go to the Mainland Thursday, and I have the feeling we may get a little wild since most of us will (finally) be acclimated to Hong Kong time and will be willing to whoop it up a bit by the time this trip draws to a close but that doesn't change the fact that no place is that cool or that much fun if the people you love aren't nearby.

No comments: