Friday, June 20, 2003

Saturday June 21
MOBfest and Tankboy Present

American Cosmonaut
Light FM
Sono
Sour Deluxe
Decatur
Analog Radio

9pm

The Note
1565 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL

Severely good rock and/or roll!


Sporty Spice?

It's a quieter than usual day here at the office. I've been busy but most people around me seem more interested in who is winning the Cubs VS Sox game going on today. This made me notice just how out of the social loop I can be simply because I don't really follow sports at all. For some reason I've never been able to foster the unconditional love for all things sporty that applies to about 98% of the population. It's not like I haven't tried and in my life I've played just about every sport known to man except rugby and polo. My parent's garage is still fully stocked with my old lacrosse sticks, football pads, fielder's mitts, soccer balls and so on and so on...I just never caught the bug. I guess I do still enjoy playing sports it's just that I have no interest in what's going on in professional sports. It just seems silly to me.

So because of that I'm lacking in some of the basic conversational cues available to most other people. Small talk is so much easier when you can fill the spaces with scores or how so and so fucked up a major play in yesterday's game and I'm really beginning to believe that a great deal of interpersonal relationships -- especially in the professional world -- are fully propped up with this shared sporting dialogue available to people.

I suppose that's why I dove so deeply into music and its attending social/professional scene. It's a much smaller cross-section of people but we rely on very similar verbal cues and shorthand when it comes to our own discussions only instead of Roger Clemens we're discussing Thrill Jockey or Flower Booking or the band last night at The Double Door. Yeah, that's it...

No comments: